This blog is not about the hair of certain religious persuasions. Or firearms. Or knives. Or vertically sliced smoked salmon.

What I am talking about is typically a vertical chest with several drawers and a hinged panel on one or both sides that flips in, locks and traps the end of the drawers. Like this:


Chest locked up safely.




And the lock.

Many of the ones I’ve seen have that Eastlake vibe:


Late Victorian, but Victorian.


This one has one drawer and two doors.

Many have drawers with Knapp joints. This places them firmly in the 1890-1900 era.


Not dovetailed but Knapp jointed.

(Read all about the Knapp joint HERE.)

I found one that is closer to but not quite Shaker:


Simpler but not simple.

They come in tabletop sizes:


Sidelock on a stand.

And homemade sidelocks:


The claim is made that this one is from reclaimed teak from ancient Asian ships and houses.

Then there is furniture that looks like a sidelock but isn’t:


Sides don’t swing and the locks are in the middle. It’s just a chest.

Some antiques dealers talk about Wellington chests:

The antique Wellington chest was named after the famous Duke of Wellington’s victory of 1815. They are tall and narrow chests, usually with seven working drawers, one for every day of the week. Unusually they come with a swinging locking arm that locks all the compartments with one key.

But I have also seen the label Wellington used with other types of chests and furniture. Until we can get some federal regulations that more reliably label furniture, we must watch our words and be suspicious of the words used by others.

To see more pictures of sidelock furniture, click HERE. Or is it side lock? Or side-lock?